Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

Ancestors

I did some extensive research of my ancestors about ten years ago and found lots of information at the time.  I had it all written out on large white sheets of paper and rolled up tight in the bottom drawer of the buffet.  I pulled it all back out the other day to have a look.  I remember what started it, I stumbled upon a website that talked about Mennonite family names and gave brief histories of the families.  My family names where in there and that sparked a renewed curiosity about the people I came from.  That led where it always does for me... big sheets of paper, hours of research and a pencil.  Not a pen... a pencil!  (Believe me, not a pen!)
I started with another really big sheet of paper, this one thankfully had lines and I made the framework for my family. I thought I'd be able to get more generations on this sheet, but the fact that each generation requires twice the lines, it gets tight in a hurry. Hours... and hours... and hours went by and there were more and more names on the 254 lines. A few days passed... and this is one of those photos you take at about 1:30 am when you are just too tired and bleary eyed to continue:
 Lots of those lines have names above and dates below.  Progress. 

At this point the top half are my father's father's ancestors.  The lower half are my mother's father's ancestors.  Mainly because I have very little information to go on for either of my grandmothers.  So... I'll keep working on these for a while and then move on when I can't find any more.  I'm missing some information at this point to finish out these nine generations (including me) and will then follow some of these lines that go back to 14 and 15 generations... maybe further.  It's tedious and I'm not really sure what I'm learning about myself in this process.  I'm enjoying it though, aside from the tedious aspects.  There are discoveries that mean something to me along the way.  More on those later. 

Researching,
-Carmen Rose

1 comment:

  1. Very Interesting Carmen, but one would think that the Mennonite Church would have recorded data somewhere to start your research. Perhaps like the Mormons, but unlike the Mormons who I believe have ulterior motives otherwise they wouldn't be collecting data on unrelated peoples WORLDWIDE.

    After reading your post and looking at all your drawn plans I wondered why the Mennonite population isn't larger today. The families are very large, and this is only your family we are looking at and perhaps not all members. If your family stemmed from Germany, you could actually travel to Germany and look into the records kept in the townhalls for traces of your family. Hint hint...lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails