Pages

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Red Velvet

I made some cupcakes today for a little gathering of women at my house this evening.  I have never made a red velvet cake before, mainly because I don't like dye in my food, and the flavor can tend to be... well... let's face it... red velvet cake doesn't have much flavor.  So I decided to make a red velvet cake with beet puree in it for the color so I could skip the chemical dyes.  Only I didn't think it was chocolatey enough, so I added more cocoa.  Problem is, when you add more chocolate you lose the red color.  Soo... my "red velvets" looked a little...

...well... not very red. I tried them, and had eaten three by the time I realized I just didn't like them very much. Really good chocolate cake isn't hard to make, this just wasn't it.

Mmmm... cupcakes! They look hopeful, don't they?!

The theme of the party required red food, thus red velvet cake. So... since that didn't really work out I made chocolate ganache and strawberries with a dash of lime. And I don't care what it is, if you drench it in ganache, then it will turn out to be good. And strawberries are always the right color and yummy also!

Soo... I won't be making red velvet cake again, but it was lovely to have the ladies here. It was a fun evening.

Any excuse to celebrate,
-Carmen Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails