Pages

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Today's Guest Blogger: Barbara Lardon! (YAAAAAAY!)

First I want to thank Carmen for asking me to be a guest on her blog. Let me introduce myself. I am an art quilter. I live in Plymouth Wisconsin which is a small town of 7000 about 60 miles north of Milwaukee.

I have been quilting for about 30 years now and mainly do raw edged fused appliqué. You can see my work on my blog at bslartquilts.blogspot.com.

Today I would like to share with you my experience recently when I decided to look into a basket I keep in my studio of unfinished projects. I had totally forgotten about some of them. While going through them I became amazed at how they are almost a recording of my “evolution” in the last 10 years.

In this one you can see I am still in my traditional primitive country phase. It is a queen sized piece with lots of stars in the border and oh I was so in love with stars in those days (still am).

Then I needed more. So I moved into paper piecing and much more elaborate and complicated patterns. Here is my Japanese Fan quilt. However, as you can see, I am beginning to do some raw edged fusing on the backing where I placed my own design of a Japanese woman in traditional garb. This is also in queen size.

And finally I transitioned all the way to doing raw edged fused appliqué. Here is an example of one of my more recent pieces.
 It is amazing to me how we travel through stages in our creative world, trying new styles and evolving into the artist we are today.  It is an adventure to me and I hope for you too.

Thank you Barbara Lardon for guest posting!  It is a treat to see how your work has developed over time! 
Thanks so much,
Happy creating,
-Carmen Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails