Pages

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Randy Shenk, Liturgical Artist 3

I've been sharing some of the work my brother has created from an exhibit a few weeks back.
The table is made from scrap metal with a large heavy marble table top.
On the table are communion elements with the cross.
There is a plexi portion in front, lit from below.  There really doesn't seem to be any good way to photograph it, but in person the image on the glass really glows.  Then there is a light in the top part behind the "INRI" (which always looks like Henry to me.)  The cross is made of lengths of metal welded together in a broken kind of formation.  The fabric on the back helps it stand out against the dark background.
This piece is used in worship each week at the Missio Dei service.  
It is a "station" where participants can come for communion, one of several stations.  
Here is Randy's statement that was connected to the piece for the exhibit:
Sometimes I'm not sure which connects with me more, his artwork, or his way of expressing himself with words.  I think that one of the things I like about much of his work is that he's often creating something out of... well... trash.  It's that quality of taking something worthless and making it into something powerful or beautiful that adds dimension to his work and underscores many of the themes he works with.  I'm a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails