Pages

Friday, January 8, 2010

Green Chicken Stock

It's been cold here and we got about a half inch of snow last night.  It put me in the mood to have something simmering on the stove, so I decided to make green chicken stock and figure out what to do with it later on.

First off:  I fried up a pound of smoked bacon, drained off the bacon and set it aside for later use, keeping the fat.

I deglazed the pan with some red wine and then added an onion, a bunch of garlic, and all the green stuff: two jalapenos, a lime, and some herbs.  I didn't bother pealing any of that stuff, it all got strained off anyway.  I added soy sauce and some peppercorns to taste.  I added some water and let it all simmer for a while.

I opened up the chicken package and noticed a bad smell.  Ewww... I'd waited too long to use that one and had to throw away an entire chicken!  How vexing!  Note to self, use it or freeze it.  Sooo... off to the store for a replacement chicken.  (and chocolate, no point in going to the store for just one item after all!)  I charred it on the grill (the bird that is, not the chocolate) just for some added flavor.  

The I popped that bugga in the pot with the rest of the simmering green brew.  I'm pretty sure that's not the "right way" to do this, but it's my kitchen, I don't have to ask permission!  LOL!  Anyway, I think recipes are intended to inspire, not confine - at least in cooking.  In baking, following the directions is a good thing.  Adding enough water to cover the bird, I simmered it for a few hours.  It sure did make a flavorful green brew.

I pulled out the bird bits, separated the meat out and threw the rest back in.  I didn't have time to do much at that point, so I let it simmer a little longer.

I strained it all, threw away the bones and bits.  It's a dark potion with an earthy mellow yum.  Plus the house smells wonderful!

Tonight we had chicken, smashed taters and gravy, (gravy made with chicken stock) green beans with mushrooms, and fresh biscuits for supper.  I suppose it was all about the comfort food.  I would have taken a photo of my dinner plate but it didn't last long enough for that!

The rest of the chicken stock is in the fridge, tomorrow I shall skim off the fat and pack it away for another day when some liquid comfort is again needed. 

Happy Creating!
-Carmen Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails