Pages

Monday, January 11, 2010

Polymer Clay Cabinet Knobs - a knobby tutorial

Kitchen cabinet knobs in the making. It's a surprisingly simple process, here are a few photos to show you what I did. If you've got some basic polymer cane building skills, then these will be pretty easy.

I cut out a round of polymer to cover the knob

and wrapped it around the old kitchen knobs that I took off the cabinets before we started this little painting project.

I wanted the back to be free of polymers since I think that's the part that will take most of the wear and tear on these over the years.

The shape shows through, but the texture didn't really show up in the covered knob.

I sliced a simple cane and arranged the first row of petals.

Added some texture with a little ball shaped tool.

I sliced another cane thin, added those on top, overlapping some.

Then adding some texture to that layer.

I cut a different cane to go in the middle.

Then I ran a fine fine polymer snake around that and added some little flat back Swarovski crystals.

And that's how it looks. 

Here's one of my favorites, this blue matches the kitchen walls and I really like how the cane turned out.

Here are a few really ultra simple spiral canes.  Think jelly roll, very easy to make but they really can be cute!

And these are the ones I have so far.  I have 60 doors and drawers in my kitchen (when I met this kitchen I knew it was perfect for me!) so doing one of these buggas for each of them just seems like overkill.  At this point I'm only going to do the upper cabinets and maybe the knobs on the pantry doors, and then evaluate things from there.

I'm still waiting very impatiently for the new hinges to come, the new hood and the new faucet are here... but the hinges... the one thing standing between me and having doors on my cabinets again...  Argh!  Hurry UP!

You really gotta try this fun project, then post photos!
Happy Creating,
-Carmen Rose 

6 comments:

  1. I haven't worked with polymer clay yet. Do you have to bake it to harden it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, bake it in your home oven or if you're going to do much of it, get a small oven so you can keep it separate from your food oven. It's "play-dough" for adults.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are SO cute! I'll bet you're going to have the cutest little kitchen ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutly delighfull. Thank you so much for sharing. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. VERY cool...

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are incredible. I'll be sharing them on WeeFolkArt.com's Facebook page. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails